Prof. K.R Rajan,
Head of the Department
B.Tech, M.Tech, CE, FIE, MISTE.
Graduated in Mechanical Engineering from Govt. Engineering college, Thrissur in 1969 and MTech in
Production engineering from Cochin University of Science & Technology in 1981. Currently pursuing PhD
in MG University. Started the career as Assistant engineer (Design & developments ) of Premier Tyres
Ltd, from the year 1970. In 1974 joined Cochin Shipyard Ltd, a Govt.of India enterprise, as Asst.
Executive Mechanical engineer and served till availing VRS from the post of Manager (Ship building-OF)
in 1992. From 1993 till 2000 worked as Technical Manager & CEO of various Industrial enterprises in
India & UAE. He was instrumental for developing, from scratches, a Thermal Insulation company,
meeting the needs of Oil & Gas industry in Abu Dhabi, UAE. From 2000 till 2008 worked as Consultant
engineer of the 'Innovative Farm Mechanization project' of Govt. of Kerala and various other projects in
private sector. Along with industrial career, he associated with academia as guide for M.Tech
programmes and visiting executive to Govt. Engineering college, Kozhikode.
From 2009 joined academia, as full time faculty in the department of Mechanical engineering and as
the head of the department of Innovation & creativity, in TocH Institute of Science Technology,
Ernakulam. From 2012 heading the department of Mechanical engineering in Sree Narayana Gurukulam
College of Engineering, Ernakulam. He has developed various innovative products for industry and
presented various technical papers. Area of research is fuel efficient IC engines. Indian & international
patent applications have been registered for an innovative IC engine design.
The department offers B Tech. in Mechanical Engineering and M Tech. in Machine Design with focus on understanding of key concepts including mechanics, kinematics, design, production and thermodynamics. So far 7 B Tech. batches have completed the course and are placed at key positions in core manufacturing sectors and other Industries. 30 members of faculty and 12 non-teaching staff actively participate in the teaching-learning process.
- Advanced courses are offered as electives such as.. Welding Technology, Foundry Technology, Advanced Operation Research, Marketing and Sales Management, Plant Engineering and Maintenance, Aerospace Engineering, Project Management, Cryogenics, Total Quality Management, Nuclear Engineering, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Composite Material and Mechanics, Fracture Mechanics etc.
- Department is equipped with a wide variety of advanced softwares such as Ansys, Catia, Primavera, Pro-E, Auto CAD, Nastran, Solidworks etc. Students are offered co-curricular training in soft skills to face the challenges of trade and industry.
- State-of-the-art live projects are offered to students. Few projects have been patented.
- Department association, Student chapter of ISHRAE, Robotics club etc. provide opportunities for development of innovative talents among student community.
- Industry partnership is being promoted by way of MOUs and collaborative arrangements with leading institutions.